Devil May Cry 3 MangaEdit
In the Devil May Cry 3 manga, Vergil and Arkham discuss the nature of devils and angels while gazing upon one of the Seven Sins. When Vergil comments that he sees only a devil, Arkham reminds him that the two, meaning angels and demons, were once the same thing, and that this demon has retained its angelic appearance.
Devil May Cry 4Edit
The Order of the Sword created a ritual called the Ascension Ceremony, which gives its participants angelic form and abilities but actually turns them into demons in the process. This process created Alto Angelos, as well as transforming Agnus and Credo into Angelo Agnus and Angelo Credo, respectively. Bianco Angelos, another result of the Order's research into demonic power, also possess angel-like appearance, however those are just inanimate armors possessed by demonic or human soul. The Wing Talisman is also claimed to be made from crystallized angel wing.
DmC: Devil May CryEditIn the DmC: Devil May Cry universe, angels are an ageless supernatural species that have always been at war with demons.
Prior to the beginning of the game, the demon Sparda fell in love with an angel named Eva. Their love transgressed ancient boundaries and bore witness to the birth of twin boys, Dante and Vergil. The happy family lived a happy life until the Demon King Mundus found them. Mundus then proceeded to kill Eva.
Dante is a Nephilim, an angel-demon hybrid, and can channel his angelic powers into his sword, changing its form. Dante's Angelic powers seem to be concerned with manipulating him rather than him manipulating the world, such as Angel Glide and Angel Lift.
Although Angels exist in the game world, Dante only encounters one throughout the game, his mother, who appears to him when he comes out of the Secret World. Vergil also encounters his mother in Hell in Vergil's Downfall.
In the Abrahamic religions, angels are spiritual beings who serve God and carry out his will, and are often described as his children. Most demons (ex. Leviathan, Beelzebub, and Lucifer) are said to have been high ranking angels prior to their falls from grace.
Angelic hybrids are also known as Nephilim. In the book of Genesis, the Nephilim were a race of powerful angel-human hybrids, said to be giants, and the "heroes of old". In the Book of Jubilees, however, they are seen as evil entities. Seeing the creatures as a threat to humanity, God released a flood which destroyed the Nephilim. They were born when fallen angels consorted with human women.
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3 Code 2: "Vergil". p.14. Arkham, "To me, he looks like an angel." Vergil, "You'd be wrong." Arkham, "Semantics. Were they not once one and the same?"
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3 Code 2: "Vergil". p.16. Arkham, "A demon perhaps... but he has retained his angelic beauty, don't you agree?"
- ↑ Devil May Cry 4, Lesser Demons File — Alto Angelo: "A knight turned demon via the Ascension Ceremony, the Alto Angelo has donned the armor of a Bianco Angelo to lead them into battle. It is said that an Alto Angelo can raise the abilities of the Bianco Angelo around it."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 4, Lesser Demons File — Bianco Angelo: "A man-made soldier made from the fragment of a demon known as the "dark angel". Filled with either a human or demonic soul, it carries out its master’s orders with mechanical precision."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 4, Key Item File — Wing Talisman: "A talisman made of crystallized angel wing, it can stimulate a divine response in specific equipment."