|Argosax the Chaos|
|Relation(s)||Arius (summoner, deceased)|
|Real World Data|
|Appearance(s)||Devil May Cry 2|
Before Devil May Cry 2Edit
Argosax once was infrequently worshipped by the people of Dumary Island, and it was there that he almost appeared in the Human World, but Sparda and Vie de Marli defeated him and sealed him away using the four relics known as Arcana.
Devil May Cry 2Edit
Arius tries to obtain the Arcana in order to release Argosax, take his power, and become a god. The Arcana are four holy relics used to seal Argosax, and by uniting them at the solar eclipse, a gate to the Demon World will open.
Though Dante manages to interfere with Arius' ritual by replacing the Medaglia with his own double-sided coin, the doorway is still partially opened, and Arius absorbs part of Argosax's power. Because the door is unstable, whoever enters may not be able to return, so Lucia demands to go, claiming she is expendable. However, Dante puts the decision to his coin, and after winning the coin toss, goes in, just like his father once did.
Inside the portal, Dante finds Argosax in its first form, a hideous pile of flesh composed of pieces of Phantom, Griffon, Orangguerra, Jokatgulm, Nefasturris, and Furiataurus. After slaying each piece, a stalk bearing an egg extends from the mass, and Argosax's true form, The Despair Embodied, hatches from it.
As The Despair Embodied, Argosax appears as an androgynous, horned, angelic being composed of fire, able to change sexes at will. While in its female form, it attacks with a whip, and while in its male form, it wields a sword. The Despair Embodied is able to teleport around the battlefield, or fly into the air and shower Dante with a rain of fiery feathers. However, even in this form, Argosax is still brought down by Dante, and is defeated. Afterwards, Dante rides off on a motorcycle, presumably escaping the Demon World through another doorway.
As the Chaos, Argosax is a compilation of different parts of the other bosses. While you will not have to fight every boss again, you will have to deal with some of their attacks, plus Griffon. Take out each boss one at a time until they are all gone: you have a huge advantage here in that they cannot move.
As the Despair Embodied, Argosax is fast. Focus on dodging its attacks and use your guns for a safe kill.
Argosax's appearance might be a reference to the biblical Legion, an entity that was composed of multiple demons possessing a single man in the Gospel of Mark. Both Argosax and Legion are composed of multiple demons and both Argosax and Legion possessed a man, which they drove insane.
Argosax, particularly as the Despair Embodied, seems to draw on certain Gnostic and Alchemical themes. Some Gnostic interpretations of the account of creation in Genesis believed that Adam was a hermaphroditic being until a new being (Eve) was made from him by the creator god. Thus Argosax's Despair form switching between a masculine and feminine form maybe a vague reference to that. In regard to Alchemically, a common goal for some alchemists in their effort to achieve the Magnum Opus ("Great Work") was to achieve a "Union of Opposites" of which traits of opposing elements would sometimes be cast in terms ascribing male and female characteristics. The room for Dante's second battle against Arius in his seventeenth mission includes the images of a man and woman closely to each other possibly alluding to this concept from Alchemy, granted Arius's goal for his personal Magnum Opus is a selfish one of achieving godhood rather than any sort of spiritual growth.
- Argosax arugubly has the most HP out of any boss in Devil May Cry 2, and possibly the most health out of any boss in the whole Devil May Cry series, he has 6 bars of health in his first form and 2 bars of health in his second form, which makes him have 8 bars of health.
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Enemy File — Argosax the Chaos: "This king once ruled most of the demon world and subdued all the demons, but was defeated by Sparda."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Prologue: "One recent tale, only a few hundred years old, told of a great swordsman appearing from 'the outside' to aid in exorcising the most evil god of all time."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Arius: "...I must obtain the power of Argosax...or I cannot transcend all living things!"
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Arius: "Now, I'll absorb his power. I, will become an all-powerful immortal!"
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Lucia: "We have until the Sun is completely eclipsed. But...how are you going to enter the building? The entrance is..."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Lucia: "What...? The ritual was incomplete... but the door to the Demon World is..."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Lucia: "Once you enter the Demon World... you may never be able to return...I'll go... I'm expendable..."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Dante: "Heads, I go; Tails, you go."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Matier: "You must not worry, my dear; I am sure that he will return. Everything is just as it was with Sparda."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Enemy File — The Despair Embodied: "Possessing an androgynous perfect body and awesome dignity, he is sometimes worshipped."
|Arius - Dante - Lucia - Matier - Trish|
|Argosax - Bolverk - Furiataurus - Infested Chopper - Infested Tank - Jokatgulm - Nefasturris - Noctpteran - Orangguerra - Phantom - Tartarussian & Plutonian - Tateobesu - Trismagia|
|Blade - Demonochorus - Erupt Gel - Finis Demon - Flambat - Infestant - Goat Clan - Mancer Demon - Msira - Puia - Sargasso - Savage Golem - Secretary - Spicere|
|Dante's weapons: Merciless - Rebellion - Vendetta - Ebony & Ivory - Missile Launcher - Shotgun - Submachine Guns|
Lucia's weapons: Cutlaseer - Klyamoor - Zambak - Bow Gun - Cranky Bomb - Darts - Throwing Daggers
Trish's weapons: Sparda - Luce & Ombra - Nightmare-γ
|Locations & Miscellaneous|
|Dante's Office - Demon World - Dumary Island - Human World|