Devil May Cry 5 has been in development since at least 2014, one year before the Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition had been released. Hideaki Itsuno had been working on the game since after DMC4:SE was finished, and the full development team was formed in 2015.
The game runs on the RE Engine and uses photorealistic graphics, the developers scanned various models to give a realistic look to the characters and even real clothes which were created in London and scanned in Serbia. Making Nero's new jacket cost as much as a small car, however his accessories were not scanned. The Devil May Cry van took more than an year to make, the developers would even joke at the van feeling like a character due to how much time they spent on it, additionally, the writing on the van is the artist's own handwriting, including the neon sign.
In July 25, 2018, Dengeki Online interviewed Itsuno, Okabe and Matthew, where Itsuno said he hopes the player will feel emotional and even cry during the story. He also mentioned there is a reason for Dante to have a beard and for the third, unknown character to not be holding a weapon in the key art.
In August 13, 2018, Itsuno tweeted that the demo version of the game was finished for Gamescom. In August 21, 2018, the demo was available at Gamescom and it featured an "abridged version" of the second mission of the game.
In August 31, 2018, Itsuno, Okabe and Matt were at the PAX West 2018 where they revealed new information about the game such as the confirmation of a Photo Mode to the game, a training mode and detailed information on the different types of the Devil Breakers, it was also mentioned that DMC5 would have a "thing" that would help players catch up to the story of the series. The Gamescom demo was also available to the public at PAX and it was said that the developers made it harder to S rank on purpose because of the special secret message.
A few years after Devil May Cry 4 and Devil May Cry 2, following Dante’s disappearance from the real world (while being stranded in the demon world), Nero has his own branch of Devil May Cry. He must fight off a demon invasion in Red Grave City after a demonic tree takes root with help from his arm mechanic, Nico. He is also chasing after a man who severed his arm - the Devil Bringer.
The invasion begins when the seeds of a "demon tree" take root in Red Grave City. As this hellish incursion starts to take over the city, a young demon hunter Nero, arrives with his partner Nico in their "Devil May Cry" motorhome. Finding himself without the use of his right arm, Nero enlists Nico, a self-professed weapons artist, to design a variety of unique mechanical Devil Breaker arms to give him extra powers to take on evil demons such as the blood sucking flying Empusa and giant colossus enemy Goliath.
To replace the Devil Bringer, Nero wields a cybernetic prosthetic called "Devil Breaker" with many of the same moves as its predecessor, as well as several additional abilities. The first arm Nico makes for Nero, the Overture Devil Breaker, looks plain in style allowing Nero to wear it inconspicuously throughout the city, but the hidden electric generator inside is strong enough to shock any demons that come too close. Adding a bit more versatility, the Gerbera Devil Breaker generates an intense heat that can be shot out as a highly powerful shockwave which can be used as a direct attack, reflect enemy projectiles, or even to propel Nero through the air and augment his evasion capabilities.
Along with his signature blade Rebellion, Dante now fights using a new Devil Arm, a pair of chainsaw-like weapons that can combine into a motorcycle.
- ↑ CAPCOM: Devil May Cry 5 Official Site
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 『デビル メイ クライ 5』は平成最後にして最高のアクションゲームになる！ 岡部P＆ウォーカーPが語る【E3 2018】 | Famitsu (translated) "Okabe: It's been about 3 years after the development team was formed, but Itsuno has been working on the project since DMC4:SE's development was finished."
- ↑ https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/status/1034092516587401217
- ↑ Hideaki Itsuno | Twitter "I’ve been waiting 4 years to share this with all of you! It’s wonderful to finally have it out there!"
- ↑ 『デビル メイ クライ 5』はどんなストーリー？ あのキャラクターも登場？ 気になる内容をスタイリッシュに解説【先出し週刊ファミ通】 (Famitsu)
- ↑ Hideaki Itsuno 伊津野 英昭 - Capcom Channel June 20th 2018 - DMC5 デビル メイ クライ 5 - Japanese Audio (original)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 CAPCOM CONFIDENTIAL: THE DEV 1 PODCAST Episode 5
- ↑ 『デビル メイ クライ 5』のキーマンに直撃。RE ENGINEで復活するスタイリッシュアクションの魅力とは？ - Dengeki Online
- ↑ Hideaki Itsuno: "Demo version for gamescom2018 is completed! 10 days to the world's first playable!"
- ↑ 2:07:15 - Matthew Walker "This is... Mission 2. It's kind of an abridged version of Mission 2."
- ↑ PAX West 2018 | Twitch Town Hall - PAX3
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 E3 2018: Announcing Devil May Cry 5, coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC in Spring 2019
- ↑ 『デビル メイ クライ 5』ネロは「お父さんに似てきている」―プロデューサーインタビュー！3人目のプレイアブルキャラのヒントは意外なところに…？【E3 2018】
Devil May Cry 5
|Nero - Nico - Dante - Kyrie - Lady - Trish - V|
| Nero: Blue Rose - Devil Breaker - Red Queen|
|Red Grave City|