|Title||Shock Steel (衝撃鋼 Shōgekkō?)|
|Appearances||Devil May Cry 4|
Gilgamesh is a set of gauntlets, greaves, mask, and back armor which appears in Devil May Cry 4. It is obtained by Dante from Echidna's Hell Gate, which it was used to power. Like similar weapons appearing in previous games, Gilgamesh focuses on slow but powerful attacks.
Gilgamesh is an armor-like weapon made of a devilish metal which absorbs organic material and transforms it to steel, and its techniques can be powered up by engaging the thrusters on the gauntlets and greaves. The gauntlets have small drills on each arm capable of extending during some attacks, while the greaves have small saws allowing Dante to cut through enemies with kicks. Whenever Dante is charging an attack, the mask covers his face, but its real function is never specified (though it seems to be implied that it prevents the user from breathing the gas which comes out of the thrusters during the charging process). Similar to the mask, the back armor, which resembles a pair of small metallic wings, doesn't seem to serve a real purpose during gameplay.
Gilgamesh is fundamentally a revision of the gauntlets in past games, sharing many of the same techniques and focusing on the same slow but hard-hitting combos. Almost all of its attacks can be charged, and offer significant damage with every hit. The Gilgamesh has two levels of charge, and when fully charged, the attacks are utterly devastating; a fully-powered, Devil Triggered Dash Straight can kill a Scarecrow (Leg) in a single hit, and a Devil Triggered Real Impact can even kill almost all lesser demons except for the Blitz. Both normal and Devil Triggered charged attacks can be "Just Charged" by releasing the charge button the instant the Gilgamesh flashes. This drastically increases the strength and Stylish Rank of the technique, as well as slightly modifying the technique animation.
|Gilgamesh Combo A||,,,||,,,||Put foot to throat with this high-octane finisher. Any part of this combo can be charged by holding down /.|
|Gilgamesh Combo B||,,—,,||,,—,,||Lightning fast kicks rock an opponent with speed and fury. Any part of this combo can be charged by holding down /.|
|Full House||(mid-air)||(mid-air)||Focus upon an opponent from mid-air and dive down feet first to send them on your full boat down the River Styx.|
|Draw||++||++||Quickly step backward and allow an enemy attack to fly harmlessly astray.|
|Straight||(hold and release)||(hold and release)||After retreating with a Draw, quickly leap forward with a powerful counter-punch.|
|Kick 13||++||++||A dramatic display of power as you face down an enemy and unleash a flurry of powerful kicks.|
|Flush||Transform simple jumps into damage dealing attacks.|
Note: although the move "Shocking!" sets Dante is a charging stance, "Shocking!" cannot be charged regardless of hang time. Same goes to similar Beowulf's move Volcano.
Gilgamesh was a quasi-historical king who is the central character of the Epic of Gilgamesh. He was a demigod of superhuman strength who became bored with his rule, and went on an adventure in which he became friends with the half-wild Enkidu and ended up seeking a method of immortality to prevent his own death.
The attacks "Full House", "Straight", "Draw", and "Flush" are references to Poker.
When Dante obtains the Gilgamesh, he uses a "One-inch punch" to destroy Echidna's Hell Gate, a move popularized by Bruce Lee. He then spirals upwards in a move bearing strong resemblance to a Street Fighter move called "Shinryuken", and cuts the pieces with another resemblance to a Street Fighter move called "Misogi".
"Rising Dragon" bears a resemblance to the "Shoryuken" from Street Fighter. Even the name "Rising Dragon" is similar to the Shoryuken's English name "Rising Dragon Fist". In addition, the Divine Dragon bears strong resemblance to the "Shinryuken"-"Divine Dragon Fist." Finally, Real Impact's two-step attack mirrors Ryu's "Shin Shoryuken" ("Real Rising Dragon Fist" in English) in both it's name and form.
- If you are able to counter a Mephisto's finger attack (Royalguard Style would help), then hit it with Gilgamesh, Dante will have an attack of kicking away the finger, leaving the Mephisto open for a higher amount of damage. This is the only known move in the game to not appear on any tutorial, and so far, it is the only melee counter-attack in the series.
- After you make the Mephisto vulnerable by swatting away its finger with the Gilgamesh, even a normal Gilgamesh Combo I can kill a single Mephisto even without having its cloak removed.
- Most of the Gilgamesh's moves are allusions to those found in Street Fighter and some of fighting games. Including: Street Fighter's Shoryuken, Tekken's Wind God Fist, Akuma's Kongou Kokuretsu Zan and Tenma Kuujin Kyaku, Ryu's Shin Shoryuken, Ken's Shinryuuken, Chun-Li's Hyakuretsu Kyaku, and Rugal's Genocide Heaven.
- A pile bunker like mechanism manifests on the gilgamesh as Dante executes Real Impact, which can be seen more clearly via distortion technique.
- ↑ Devil May Cry 4, Dante's Arms File — Gilgamesh: "Made of a devilish metal that absorbs organic material and transforms it to steel, this weapon will shock and awe enemies with its brute force."
|Agnus - Credo - Dante - Gloria - Kyrie - Lady - Nero - Sanctus - Trish|
|Bael & Dagon - Berial - Containment Room - Echidna - The Savior|
|Alto & Bianco Angelo - Assault - Basilisk - Blitz - Chimera Seed & Chimera - Cutlass - Fault - Frost - Gladius - Mephisto & Faust - Scarecrow|
| Nero: Blue Rose - Devil Bringer - Red Queen - Yamato|
Dante: Ebony & Ivory - Coyote-A - Rebellion - Gilgamesh - Pandora - Lucifer - Yamato
|Buster - Dark Slayer Style - Gunslinger Style - Royalguard Style - Swordmaster Style - Trickster Style|
|Dante's Office - Fortuna - Fortuna Castle - Mitis Forest|