Nightmare is a bio-weapon that serves its creator, Mundus. It is the boss of Mission 16: Nightmare of Darkness, Mission 18: Spirit Stone, "Elixir" and Mission 20: Showdown with Nightmare in Devil May Cry. There are two weapons fashioned after it: Nightmare-β, which appears in Devil May Cry; and Nightmare-γ in Devil May Cry 2.
Appearance and DescriptionEdit
The Nightmare takes the form of a slug-like demon which has many huge metallic parts embedded and making it up, there is also several skulls giving it its "Nightmarish" look, which strikes fear into it. It is forged from the darkness of a small mirror-like puddle giving its initial "Non-Existence".
It was created by Mundus out of inorganic substances, and it is unknown whether it is even conscious. It is powered by several cores which it rarely exposes and which can absorb Devil Trigger power from Dante; if it is allowed to absorb enough, it can activate its own Devil Trigger. It also possesses a multitude of offensive mechanisms, and it will change its attack pattern each time one of its cores is destroyed. It generally exists in an invulnerable gel-like form which includes the remains of its victims, and in this form it can swallow enemies and teleport them to an evil dimension in which their trauma manifests as evil spirits. In order to be damaged, it must be forced into a more solid form by activating embossed discs on the ground, These are restraining tools used to keep it from overriding.However, in this form it will encase itself in a hard armor, and it will attack more viciously.
Dante first encounters the Nightmare within the castle cathedral, but he forces it to retreat. It later appears while Dante performs the ritual to transform the Philosopher's Egg into the Elixir, and is again forced to retreat. After Dante enters the Underworld, he is lured into the Nightmare's den by Trish, who is pretending to be injured. However, Nightmare attacks as soon as Dante enters the room, and while fighting it, Dante is also attacked by Trish. Dante manages to finally destroy Nightmare, and coldly leaves Trish in the room while he goes on to fight Mundus.
Nightmare is invulnerable to all attacks except for its core. To expose the core, shield devices located within the battlefield must be activated to bathe the room in light. This turns Nightmare from a puddle into a solid state, and it will expose its core during certain attacks. When the lights go out, Nightmare turns into a puddle of goo and can envelop Dante whole, transporting him into its insides where Dante must do battle with one of the other bosses of the game, Phantom, Griffon, or Nelo Angelo, in order to escape.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Nightmare is a high tech demon, armed with various weaponry. Its face functions like a barrel which can produce laser beams. Its shape comes from an ooze which gives it versatile abilities than just one weapon. These extra applications give it the trait to create icy attacks, copying its design into smaller versions of it that hunt down any threat that damage Nightmare and will self destruct into crystalline masses and producing various energy-firing machines. It can throw out an automated boomerang-esque blade that is vicous to any demon that come near it. If Nightmare is clever enough, it can either revert to its ooze form or encase a demon into its mindscape. Also, if a demon is underneath it, the bio weapon will trap a foe into a large netting lure.
As for its physical strength, Nightmare has shown to be very sensitive to certain attacks, especially light, and it weakens once this is used against it. Its mental attacks are simply hard to avoid and may otherwise be left unguarded or taken out easily once you find a way to escape its mind.
- Nightmare means "a person, thing, or situation that is very difficult to deal with." which is happen to be what the demon Dante faces upon.
- ↑ Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: "It’s a bio-weapon created by the Dark Emperor. Its properties consist of inorganic substances. Like a machine, it obeys the commands of the Dark Emperor. Whether it has a consciousness is unknown."
- ↑ Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: "The core has the power to absorb magical powers, and it does not exclude Dante’s powers. If it starts to absorb, damage the core to stop the absorption. When it absorbs enough magical powers, it will activate its own Devil Trigger and start attacking with tremendous force."
- ↑ Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: "The Nightmare possesses several cores. Each time a core is destroyed, its self-defense mechanism activates and its attack formation will change. Watch closely for the attack formation changes."
- ↑ Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: "When you are surrounded in its gel-like form, you will be teleported into an evil dimension. You must defeat the evil spirits that rule the dimension. The evil is a reflection of Dante’s trauma that rests in his subconscious."
- ↑ Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: "The embossed circles on the floor are restraining tools used to restrain the Nightmare from overriding. Once the Nightmare is restrained, it will encase itself in a hard armor. But it will show its core from time to time almost as if it’s breathing. To damage the Nightmare, it will have to be in this form."
|Dante - Trish - The Dark Knight Sparda|
|Griffon - Mundus - Nelo Angelo - Nightmare - Phantom|
|Beelzebub - Blade - Fetish - Frost - Kyklops - Marionette - Nobody - Plasma - Sargasso - Shadow - Sin Scissors & Scythe|
|Alastor - Force Edge & Sparda - Ifrit - Yamato|
|Locations & Miscellaneous|
|Bangle of Time - Broken Bridge - Dante's Office - Mallet Island - Mirror World|